Monday, July 18, 2011

Entitlement Horror Stories

Thanks for your inputs on Entitlement. We thought we would just post a few of your “stories” from the hundreds we have received: (If nothing else, this will make parents realize that they are “not alone” in facing the Entitlement Trap.)

“Our eight year old son was aghast when his we suggested he might have to work to earn some money to replace the neighbor’s window that he had broken while throwing rocks. ‘You’re my mom, that’s the kind of thing you are supposed to take care of.’”

“My nine year old came up to me the other day and said, "I have to have a credit card. . . or a cell phone. At least one of them."

“A few months back my four year old was asked to pick up her things and straighten the bathroom she had just destroyed by giving her Barbie a bath. Her response was, ‘Isn’t that what Maria is for?’ Maria is the very kind woman who has helped clean and babysit while I worked part time from home the last couple of years.”

“A few weeks ago, I was shopping with my four year old, who saw something he "really wanted". He got upset when I said "no" and angrily asked me why I wouldn't buy it for him. My response was "Because I don't want to spend the money on that". He frowned, growled at me and said "Fine, then you just give me the money and I'll pay for it."

No comments:

Post a Comment